5/4 Homer Street Moonee Ponds 3039

How Can I Make a Complaint in my Workplace?

If you think that you may have been discriminated against in the workplace, do not ignore it. Come forward with any complaint you may have. Complaining will ensure that your legal rights are protected, and that other people are not subjected to the same discriminatory behaviour.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you may wish to discuss the problem with the person concerned, and ask them to stop their discriminatory behaviour towards you.

If you do not feel comfortable confronting the person directly, or if you have discussed the matter with them and the behaviour has continued, talk to your manager, human resources manager or union (if you are a member). They should be able to tell you what you can do. You may also wish to use your employer’s complaints procedure to make a formal complaint.

If you are not satisfied with the way your employer deals with your complaint, you have the right to take your complaint to an external agency (see ‘How can I make a complaint to an external agency?‘). However, you do not have to make a complaint to your employer before you complain to an external agency.

Next Section: How can I make a complaint to an external agency?