Genetic Support Network of Victoria
At the Victorian Clinical Genetics Services
Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Parkville Victoria 3052
Name & Description of Peer Support Services Offered:
The Genetic support Network of Victoria (GSNV) is a not for profit support, advocacy and education network assisting Victorians impacted by a genetic and/or rare condition. The GSNV is well placed to provide relevant narrative, intellectual input, data and evidence of the experience of Victorians impacted by a genetic and/or rare disease and has been facilitating peer support training for many years. The GSNV is focused on improving the lived experience of Victorians impacted by a genetic/rare condition, genetic testing and diagnosis and works to reduce isolation and vulnerability in the genetics community by connecting people who share a common experience. We help people prepare, respond and recover from a new diagnosis and work with those caring for others. The personal stories and experiences of the genetics and rare disease community may provide unique information for scenario development and hypotheticals to support peer support program development and highlight a niche and very specialized area of medicine.
- Fact sheets and resources for the genetics community and health professionals
- Enquiries line
- Information on genetics services in Victoria, referral pathways and clinical protocols
- Information and support on starting a support group
- Carer information
- Pre-Pregnancy Planning Education
- E-News Bulletin and Newsletters
- Seminars, Conferences & Workshops
- Professional development/training
- Advocacy and advocacy training
- Support to individuals, family and friends
- Peer support – contact with other people “in the same boat”
Professional Counsellors are helpful, but there is nothing more powerful than talking to someone who has been “in the same boat” as you.
GSNV Peer support training is available for all individuals, including support group leaders, paid and volunteer staff. The GSNV offers a one day workshop and our aim is to help you feel empowered to listen and talk to others who are in a similar position, and share your wisdom and experience. GSNV Peer Support Training focuses on the following competencies:
- active listening
- communication skills
- community resources
- information about GSNV and what we can do to help the peer support process in the genetics and rare disease community.
Meeting Times & Venues
Events and workshops are held throughout the year and dates will be advertised.
For further information, or to become a member and receive regular newsletters please contact the Genetic Support Network of Victoria on 8341-6315.
Contact Details for more information:
Genetic Support Coordinator
PH: 03 8341 6315
Link to web page